Infusionsoft is great for managing your customers and opportunities. And it automates the follow-up process that is frequently broken in small companies!
Still, some of the tracking and reporting functions could be better. I know Infusionsoft is working on some improvements, but in the meantime, here’s a way to use Google Analytics to track user responses. Here’s what you do:
- Create a “Trackable Link” in Infusionsoft. (You probably already know how, but if not, enter a question and I’ll do a post on it!)
- In the Trackable Link, add Google Analytics tags to the URL like this: http://www.GreasedSkid.com/index.php?utm_source=blog&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=tracking
- Merge the Trackable Link into your eMail follow-up messages.
Your eMail audience will receive a message with the Infusionsoft link. When they click, Infusionsoft will forward them to the link and include the Google Analytics tags. Then, inside Google Analytics, you can see how many people clicked the link, where they went on your site, etc. Even better, Google Analytics stores the tags in a cookie, and can report on conversions and transactions based on the tracking tags!
Google provides a handy URL Builder tool that makes it easier to create the URL. Really, all you need to decide is what information you want to track. Typically, you might have:
- utm_medium: This says how the message got to the user. For an email message, you might just set this to email.
- utm_source: This indicates who the user is. You might set it to the name of one of your segments.
- utm_campaign: This indicates the campaign or follow-up sequence the message belongs to.
One more thing. When you create the Trackable Link in Infusionsoft, you will often want to add an action to tag the person.That way, you can see who is interested in which topics. This is how you can actually automate the process of getting to know your customers.
For an example of how all this works, go to GreasedSkid/InfusionCon. Enter your information and click Download. Don’t worry about a flood of spam, you’ll get a message asking how frequently you want to hear from us again. And one option is to not send more information!
Behind the scenes, each of the links is trackable and assigns a tag. Each link also has the Google Analytics tracking.